Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hari Ini Dalam Sejarah~!

That's right!
Today, something spectacular happen right before my eyes!
Right inside my house!
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
It happened right before lunchtime!
...
...
Well... actually, it happened because of lunchtime... haha..
So... to cut straight to the point...
...
...
...
...
The thing that happened was...
...
...
My kitchen... caught on fire! (bit exaggerating la... just the pan oni... xD)
How? You may ask...
Well, here are the instructions to light up your own pan.
1. Heat up the stainless steel pan on an electric stove. (Set to number 7 or 8)
2. Pour some oil into the pan.
3. Wait for around 2 minutes.
4. Keep your eyes peeled as you stare at the pan... and wa lah! Fire!
The thing that puzzled me most was the fact that there wasn't any source of fire to light up the oil in the pan. Think about it, last time during Science, we were taught that for fire to occur, three things are needed:
1. Source of fire, i.e. a match, lighter or sunray (something to spark)
2. Material to burn.
3. Oxygen.
Judging from the conditions in my kitchen, 2 out of 3 conditions were present, namely the material(oil) and of course oxygen(if there weren't any of this, I wouldn't be typing this now would I?) But where did the fire come from? There are no source of fire, its an electric stove. Unless... there was a short circuit somewhere in the stove that could spark. But there were no short circuits anywhere, so that was definitely not the case. So... how how how?
My idea is that due to the stainless steel pan, the pan heats up the oil to a very very very high temperature, thus, causing the oil to burn by itself. As I'm not majoring in chemistry, I can't really explain this well. For more information, please contact my father... xD. If memory serves me right, some materials(if not all of them) have a certain point at which if the temperature of this material exceeds this point, the material will start to ignite and thus, become both the material to burn and the source of fire.
Needless to say, I'm alright, the fire was put out 1 minute after it started (because I had a little bit of fun watching the fire), although I did nearly chop my left thumb and middle finger. Ouch! More of a slice actually, freaking rolling carrot. But the hard part was in scrubbing the pan. Man, now I know the literal meaning of elbow grease! xD. To cut a long story short, cooking was half an hour, scrubbing before and after cooking took me 2 hours... T_T
"In life, some things just aren't what we expect. Its the unexpected, that makes life so darn interesting... otherwise, why live?"

5 comments:

TabungU said...

It's about ignition point dude.

mun said...

whoa...dude. haha i've had paper towels catch fire in my kitchen...then again i have a fire stove :D no mystery in that.

sulinn said...

LOL. i agree. cooking is always fun and short. it's the preparation and WASHING UP which is no fun and takes up time. That's why u dun see cooking shows showing you the washing up part!! =p

Keith said...

or it could be the intensity of your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

O good lordie~~~~
well, good example of a chemical reaction. yeah~ XD